This project started as a collaboration project on the Blender Discord Group. Every month there is a new collaboration project there. Usually it consists of some picture or concept art that has been split into different areas or objects that are given a number and then the numbers are chosen and assigned to people and they will have a month to complete there part of the finial scene.
This particular month for a change, we were given Blueprints of cars. I chose the UAZ 469, it’s basically a Soviet Army Jeep. It isn’t the type of vehicle I would normally choose to model, but the plans were nice and clear, more so than a lot of the other blueprints that were provided.
As I had a month, 2-4 times longer than I usually give myself for a vehicle, I decided to go very detailed with this model and create a high poly and bake it into a lower poly model. That is where you take detailed information and convert it into a texture.
Unfortunately I was unable to finish the model within the month as I had gained some paid work that had to take priority. This is as far as I got at the time.
Now I have a wee bit of free time I thought I would return to this project, but this time I’m going to try and do as much detail as possible and make it as accurate as can be from photos and blueprints. I’m also going to attempt to model the whole undercarriage, the engine, interior and dashboard.
So this week I started working on the undercarriage of the UAZ 469. I’ve got most of the rear end modelled in quite a lot of detail.
The biggest challenge so far is finding good reference material to work from. I have been watching a lot of Russian Mechanics tutorials on fixing rear axles for this vehicle, as well as using these model kit images bellow.
Next week I will continue working my way to the front of the model and hopefully get started on the engine.